On Friday, Jan. 11, shortly after 12:30 a.m., Beaumont Fire Rescue units responded to a structure fire reported at 5090 Sassafras. When firefighters arrived, the kitchen and dining area were heavily involved with fire. Firefighters were able to control the fire within 15 minutes but were on the scene until after 3 a.m. due to hot spots.
The occupant reports that he fell asleep with a pot of food on the stove and awoke to a house full of smoke. He and his wife were able to escape without injury, but the fire caused heavy damage to the kitchen and dining area, as well as the attic above. Red Cross was called to assist the family.