Police and fire fighters in Beaumont extinguished a late-night South Park blaze Tuesday night, March 12, but not before the duplex sustained heavy damage.
According to a BPD press release, firefighters arrived at the home on 610 Palm Street about 10:30 p.m. to find the front of one side of the duplex completely engulfed. The occupants of the home, who were still inside when the fire started, were able to escape without injuries, but both families were relocated with the help of the Red Cross.
Terrel Riggs, a 25-year South Park neighbor of the home, said the tenants of the burned duplex were new to the area.
"They just moved in a few weeks ago," he said.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical short in the damaged side of the duplex, according to the press release, but the adjacent side of the home only suffered minor smoke and water damage.
It took firefighters more than an hour to safely control the fire, the press release said.
No other injuries were reported.