Three people suffered burns when a structure fire erupted at 1212 Royal on Monday, June 24, in Beaumont. Their home is a total loss.
According to Beaumont Fire Department officials, the fire started some time after 5 p.m. Monday. By the time it was extinguished, a father, mother and son barely made it out alive before the fire engulfed the brick home.
“I started smelling it in here,” said Cecil Pickens, who lives next door and is related to the family whose home was destroyed. “So I ran over there to make sure everybody got out.”
He said at least a third of the home was ablaze when he and other family members went inside.
“We were blessed nobody got trapped in there,” he said. “There were four people in there.”
Three occupants of the home were sent to Christus – St. Elizabeth Hospital by EMS and are expected to make a full recovery.
According to a press release from the Beaumont Fire Department, the fire seems to have been caused by a faulty AC window unit.
Pickens said other homeowners should be wary of their aging AC window units as the sweltering Texas heat comes with summer.
“These people running their air conditioning units 24/7, and they get overheated and stuff because it gets so hot,” he said.