One man is dead and his home severely damaged after a fire swept through the South Park residence Thursday night, Nov. 29.
According to a Beaumont Police Department press release, firefighters responded to a house fire at 626 Threadneedle at about 10:17 p.m. to find neighbors who told them the occupant was still inside. While fighting the blaze, firefighters found the victim in the room where the fire originated before extinguishing the blaze 30 minutes later.
The fire originated in the man’s bedroom and may have been caused by a space heater, the press release said. The fire caused major damage to the home with one section burning completely through the roof.
The victim has been identified as Junius Hill, age 90. Justice of the Peace Ransom Jones has ordered an autopsy.