25 years for child molester

Bobby Shaun Frederick

A Groves man has pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a lengthy prison term for multiple molestations of two underage girls.

Bobby Shaun Frederick was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury May 9, 2013, on one count of aggravated sexual assault of a child and four counts of sexual assault of a child, both first and second degree felonies, respectively.

Frederick also has a felony conviction for second-degree robbery.

According to a probable cause affidavit obtained by The Examiner, police first learned about the abuse April 7, 2013, when they visited the victim’s mother, who told police she had confronted her daughter who later admitted to a sexual relationship with Frederick.

A few days later, the 15-year-old girl was examined by a sexual assault nurse at St. Elizabeth Hospital and gave a sworn statement to police detailing the sexual assaults.

According to the affidavit, the young victim told police that Frederick and she had intercourse at a home on Graves Street in Groves on March 2, 2013, and that she and Frederick discussed their age disparity before having sex.

The affidavit alleges Frederick didn’t stop there, convincing the young victim to have sex with him at least three more times — March 16, 2013, and March 23, 2013, at the Graves Street home and April 5, 2013, at Frederick’s residence on Canal Street in Groves.

Police were able to track down at least three different witnesses, one of whom told police she had seen Frederick having sex with the first victim, the affidavit said. Two other witnesses told police Frederick had admitted to them he had sex with the young girl “and that he was destined for prison,” according to the affidavit.

Two days after Frederick’s first alleged victim came forward, police heard of Frederick’s abuse of another child, according to the affidavit, which said the second victim’s mother was tipped off by the mother of Frederick’s 15-year-old victim.

April 9, 2013, police spoke with the mother of Frederick’s second victim and a few days after that on April 11, 2013, the affidavit said the 13-year-old victim came forward to police detailing Frederick’s sexual assault during a New Years Eve party on Pearl Street in Groves.

According to the affidavit, at least one 14-year-old witness saw Frederick having sex with the 13-year-old at the New Year’s Eve party.

Two other witnesses say they saw Frederick sleeping on the couch the next morning with his hand on the girl’s breast and heard him bragging about having sex with the 13-year-old, prompting one witness to be “disgusted with the conversation,” the affidavit said.

Frederick later admitted to the sexual relationship with the 15-year-old girl in an interview with police, but the affidavit said Frederick attempted to defend himself, telling police he thought the girl was 18.

Frederick admitted he knew the age of his second victim but denied any wrongdoing in regard to the 13-year-old, according to the affidavit.

After pleading guilty to all charges Jan. 21, Frederick appeared in Judge John Stevens’ Criminal District Court on Tuesday, Feb. 18, for his sentencing.

At first, Frederick allowed his defense counsel to explain why Judge Stevens should show lenience as his plea deal included a minimum of five years and a maximum of 25 years. But it was only a matter of time before Frederick would have his say in court.

“The state would have the court believe that I’m a sexual predator,” Frederick said. “That is not the case.”

Frederick didn’t stop there, imploring Stevens to show mercy because he said at least one teenage victim told him she was 18 years old. Frederick said he had children of his own, adding that the state’s version of events as they took place weren’t accurate.

“I have a 6-year-old daughter myself and an 8-year-old son,” Frederick said. “I would never do anything to violate or hurt a child.”

Judge Stevens wasn’t convinced.

“So why would you plead guilty to me, look me in the eye and say you did this under oath? Five separate occasions of crimes,” Stevens said. “Why, if everybody else is lying, would you take an oath saying you’re guilty? You got an answer for that?”

Frederick attempted to assuage Steven’s anger by explaining he took his plea deal because he was looking at much more jail time if he hadn’t pleaded guilty. Frederick also repeated his contention that he thought at least one girl was 18. This seemed to incense Stevens further, who said Frederick knew the girls were drinking at the New Year’s Eve party and Frederick took advantage of the situation.

“One was 13 and one was 15. You were 32. Don’t say it’s their fault,” Stevens said. “You were there. There was alcohol. You may not have been facilitating that, but you saw what was going on. You saw what kind of state they were in.”

Moments later, Stevens sentenced Frederick to the maximum of 25 years in prison under the plea agreement.

“You’re trying to take advantage of me like you took advantage of that 13-year-old and 15-year-old,” Stevens said. “But you know what? I’m no 13 or 15-year-old little girl. Shame on you, sir.”

Frederick must serve at least half his 25-year sentence before he is eligible for parole. He must also register as a sex offender.