Baby Faith’s father sentenced to 25 years

Baby Faith’s father, Darrell Mason of Port Arthur

Darrell Mason of Port Arthur, the father of abused infant Faith Mason, received 25 years for injury to a child Feb. 29, after pleading guilty to the charge Jan. 15. Criminal District Court Judge John Stevens sentenced Mason to the maximum time allowed by a plea agreement the defendant made with prosecutors.

A one-month-old Baby Faith Mason was brought into the emergency room of St. Mary’s Hospital in Port Arthur on Aug. 18, 2013. The infant suffered from a severe brain bleed and numerous fractures that medical examiners determined had been dealt out over the weeks after she was brought home from the hospital as a newborn. Child Protective Services (CPS) representatives called it one of the worst cases of child abuse they had ever seen where the young victim did not perish.

Mason was only 17 when his cousin Christine Johnson, then 19, gave birth to their daughter, Faith. After the hospital alerted authorities to the abuse they observed while examining Baby Faith, both parents were arrested. Mason contended he was innocent but was indicted by a grand jury.

Mason and Johnson were charged with two counts of serious bodily injury to a child, both first-degree felonies carrying possible sentences of 99 years in prison per offense. In each case, the second charge of injury by omission meant that even if they did not personally cause the injury, they did not prevent the other parent from doing so.

In September 2015, a jury found Christine Johnson guilty. She was sentenced to 65 years in prison.

Mason was to go to trial Jan. 19 on similar charges. Instead, he chose to make a deal. The state offered Mason a 20-year sentence or a sentence of up to 25 years to be determined by the judge.

Mason will be eligible for parole after serving half of his sentence, or 12 and a half years. He has been incarcerated since his arrest in 2013, and time served counts toward his sentence.

Previous reporting