Child using lighter causes home fire
After battling a blaze Thursday evening, the Beaumont Fire Department says the cause of the fire was a child playing with a lighter. Around 6 p.m. Sept. 29, firefighters responded to a residence fire on Broadway and found the two-story home engulfed in flames upon their arrival.
Extra fire units were called to the scene to assist with extinguishing the flames and BFD personnel remained on scene until after 9 that night working to put out hot spots that could have sparked back up and caused further damage. Substantial damage was caused, and was attributed to a child using a lighter in a closet.
The residents were able to get out the house without injury.