Domestic disturbance results in death, murder arrest

Gayle Annette Waller

Port Arthur Police report they arrested 52-year-old Gayle Annette Waller on Nov. 3 after discovering the body of her ex-husband, 59-year-old Daniel Lee Dubois, on Nov. 2, nearly a week after the man was stabbed to death.

According to news releases from PAPD, police received a call at approximately 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 2 in reference to a deceased person at a residence in the 2800 block of Manning Street in Port Arthur. A relative of Dubois' found the deceased victim who had not been heard from for some time. Responding officers reportedly soon determined that the death was suspicious, and called in the PAPD Major Crime Team. According to investigators, all indications pointed to foul play and police were treating the death as a homicide from that point forward. Witnesses were interviewed and the scene was examined with the assistance of the Jefferson County Crime Lab and the Jefferson County Morgue. Justice of the Peace Mark DeRouen ordered an autopsy at that time.

Upon questioning Waller, Dubois' ex-wife, she confessed to involvement in the victim's death, according to Sgt. Scott Gaspard of PAPD. Gaspard said Waller told investigators she had been living with Dubois temporarily when they got into an argument at a about 11 p.m. on Oct. 26. What started as a verbal altercation quickly escalated into violence. Waller told police Dubois physically attacked her and she retaliated using a knife, stabbing him and leaving him at the residence where he succumbed to his injuries. 

"We were originally questioning her as a witness," Gaspard said regarding Waller. "She immediately told us she had something to with it (Dubois' death). She told us a little Saturday night, and she said if she could just go get some rest, she would give us all the grisly details the next day. On Sunday, she came back and told us everything that happened."

Gaspard said after Waller confessed, Judge DeRouen issued a murder warrant. Waller was taken into custody on murder charges and, as of Nov. 4, remains incarcerated at the Jefferson County Correctional Facility on a $200,000 bond. 

Gaspard said Waller claimed self-defense, but the circumstances made such a claim difficult to prove.

"Even if it was self-defense, she did not call out for help after it happened," Gaspard stated. "She left and did not report it."