Fire detector alerts family
From the Beaumont Fire Department: On Friday, December 2, 2011, just before 5:00 AM, Beaumont Firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at 160 E. Elgie. When firefighters arrived they found an oven on fire in the residence. One of the occupants was attempting to extinguish the fire with a water hose. Firefighters evacuated the occupant and finished extinguishing the fire. Beaumont EMS treated the occupant for smoke inhalation but the occupant declined to be transported. The fire was confined to the oven with some fire damage to the floor just beneath the oven. The occupants reported that they were awakened by the smoke detector and found the house full of smoke. They were able to escape and then one of the occupants used a water hose to control the fire until firefighters arrived. Beaumont Firefighters want to remind everyone of the importance of always having a working smoke detector in the home. If anyone needs a smoke detector, they can call 409-880-3905 to receive a free smoke detector from Beaumont Firefighters.