Firefighters battle two Beaumont blazes back-to-back

Stock photo

Firefighters in Beaumont battled two blazes basically back-to-back Sunday evening, Jan. 8, reports Beaumont Fire-Rescue Capt. Brad Penisson.

According to a news release from Penisson, the first fire was reported just before 6:00 p.m. by a homeowner who had discovered his car on fire while it was parked under a carport. When firefighters arrived at the scene, the fire had spread from the vehicle to the exterior wall of the garage. A quick attack by firefighters stopped the fire before it extended into the home, explained Penisson. The homeowner was not injured.

The fire appears to have been accidental and originated in the engine compartment of the vehicle.

The second fire occurred just after 10:00 p.m. A caller reported an electrical box on fire at a home in the 1400 block of Cartwright Street. When firefighters arrived, they found an electrical box on fire with flames extending up the exterior wall of a duplex home. They were able to extinguish the blaze before it spread to the interior of the home.

The occupants were not at home at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries, reported Penisson. The fire originated at the top of the electrical meter box and appeared to have been caused by an electrical short, fire investigators determined.