Man hit with beer bottle dies in Orange County

Man hit with beer bottle dies in Orange County

The Orange County Sheriff's Office reports it is currently investigating the death of a resident there who died after being struck with a beer bottle during an altercation.

According to a news release from OCSO, deputies responded to a disturbance involving an altercation between two men at a residence in the 9100 block of Stonewood Drive at 12:18 a.m. on Easter Sunday, March 27. Upon arrival at the scene, deputies found 36-year-old Anthony Flores lying unresponsive on the floor of the garage of the home. Juan Juarez Jr., 58, the other party reportedly involved in the altercation, was also on scene.

Witnesses told officers that Flores and Juarez became involved in an altercation. As the fight escalated, witnesses said, Juarez hit Flores with a beer bottle. The younger man continued to fight, but then became unresponsive. He was still breathing at the time, according to witnesses, and was transported via ambulance to Baptist Hospital in Orange, where he was later pronounced dead. 

Detectives questioned Juarez and witnesses to the altercation, but no arrests were made. At the time of the news release, detectives said an autopsy would likely be done March 28, and they would await the results of the autopsy to determine cause of death. Sheriff Keith Merritt said in a statement that arrests could follow pending autopsy results and the outcome of the investigation.

Merritt said anyone with information about this crime or others should contact Crime Stoppers at (409) 833-TIPS. Calls are anonymous and could earn callers up to $1000.

UPDATE, March 29:

Orange County Sheriff's Office Captain Thomas Ray said March 29 that an autopsy had been conducted on Flores Monday, March 28.

"At this time, the autopsy results are still pending further testing," Capt. Ray stated in a news release. "Until the pending medical results are made available to our agency, we will not have any further information to release. The investigation is ongoing and potential witnesses are still being interviewed."