Restaurant, home catch fire early Sunday morning

Restaurant, home catch fire early Sunday morning

Beaumont firefighters dealt with two major fires the night of Sunday, Nov. 19, Beaumont Fire-Rescue Capt. Brad Penisson said in a statement.

Just after 2 a.m., Beaumont Fire-Rescue units responded to a fire at the Crazy Cajun restaurant, located at 2310 North 11th Street.

When firefighters arrived, they found the patio area and fence on fire. The fire also spread to a vehicle parked at a residence next door.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire damage to the patio and vehicle with no damage to the actual restaurant. The cause of the fire appears to be an electrical short. 

At 4:45 a.m., Beaumont Fire Rescue units then responded to a residential structure fire in the 9400 block of Riggs Street.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire conditions in the garage area of the home. Several family members were able to escape ,but one person was still trapped in a bedroom located within the garage. Firefighters made entry and were able to make a rescue. The victim was identified as Charles Watson, age 74.

Watson was treated on the scene by firefighters and Beaumont EMS. He was then transported to Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and burns. Due to the burn injuries, he was transported to the UTMB hospital in Galveston in critical condition.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the garage and attic area. The cause of the fire appears to be an electrical short in the electrical panel.

- Beaumont Fire-Rescue

shadow