Shelter animals die in fire at Humane Society of Southeast Texas

Shelter animals die in fire at Humane Society of Southeast Texas

Beaumont Fire Rescue firefighters responded to a structure fire at the Humane Center of Southeast Texas, 2050 Spindletop Road, on March 15 at 8:43 p.m. after a nearby resident saw flames coming from the building. When firefighters arrived, flames were visible and there was heavy smoke coming from the building. Firefighters forced entry and made a quick fire attack, and were able to contain the fire to two rooms, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout the building.

Firefighters began bringing animals out of the shelter as soon as possible. Shelter employees and volunteers on scene moved the live animals to a nearby building. A total of 67 dogs died in the fire, due largely to smoke inhalation. As of Wednesday morning, 11 surviving dogs were still at the vet clinic undergoing treatment, according to the Humane Society.

The fire originated in the laundry and was caused by a dryer.

shadow