Suspect in 2015 double murder in custody at state mental health facility

Suspect in 2015 double murder in custody at state mental health facility

The suspect in a brutal 2015 double murder is in custody at a state mental health facility pending DNA results that could lead to murder charges against 52-year-old Aaron Kyle Angelo, the former stepson of one of the elderly victims slain in the attack.

The gruesome double murder of 83-year-old Richard Ames and 85-year-old Edna Phillips of Vidor on June 11, 2015, rocked the normally peaceful community. Initial reports from police revealed that Vidor Police Department (VPD) dispatchers received a call at 11:04 p.m. that two deceased persons were inside a residence in the 300 block of Timberlane. Upon arrival at the scene, officers observed an elderly male and an elderly female dead inside the home, apparently having suffered from multiple stab wounds.

“It was obvious that both persons had been violently murdered,” read the original news release from police.

Multiple agencies responded to the residence to assist in the investigation and to process the bloody crime scene, and several leads were followed.

Police also enlisted the public’s help, letting it be known they were searching for a gray 2006 Chevrolet four-door pickup truck with a bed cover, license plate CA9-1850, registered to victim Richard Ames. The vehicle was ultimately recovered in Houston after it had been involved in a single-vehicle accident rollover where it was destroyed.

Evidence remained, however. Police recovered DNA from the steering wheel and other parts of the truck and found a match. It was “conclusively” Angelo’s DNA, police reported. Angelo, Ames’ former stepson, was homeless at the time of the murders.

Police identified Angelo as the sole suspect in the double murder investigation, as well as the auto theft. But police were still waiting for DNA from the crime scene, so Angelo was arrested and charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle April 29, 2016. His bond was set at a whopping $500,000.

Since then, no charges have yet been filed and Vidor citizens have been left wondering if the case had been resolved. Vidor Police Chief Rod Carroll says not to worry. Though he has yet to be charged with the double murder, Angelo remains in custody at Rusk State Hospital, an inpatient psychiatric hospital.

“We are still waiting on the DNA results,” Chief Carroll explained.

Carroll said once DNA results come back and if they conclusively point to the prime suspect, Angelo, he would face murder charges once mentally capable of doing so. In the meantime, said the chief, the staff at the state psychiatric hospital would be working to make sure Angelo is competent to face the music when the time comes.