UPDATE: Marshall Middle School evacuated due to high levels of carbon monoxide

UPDATE: Marshall Middle School evacuated due to high levels of carbon monoxide

Marshall Middle School in Beaumont has evacuated its faculty and students due to high levels of carbon monoxide. The following report comes from Beaumont Police  Community Relations Officer Carol Riley:

On Thursday January 28, 2016 at 10:16 AM, First Responders were called to Marshall Middle School located at 6455 Gladys in reference to an unconscious child in the nurses office. Upon arrival, first responders  determined there was a possible gas leak causing children to exhibit signs of possible carbon monoxide exposure.  Fire Investigators got readings that showed elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

Students and faculty were evacuated to safe areas to be evaluated.  Numerous  students  and faculty members reported exposure symptoms such as nausea and headaches.  All students and faculty members that are exhibiting these symptoms were being transported as units are available.

Surrounding hospitals were notified and activated their emergency protocols.

"We feel confident our hospitals are adequately prepared to handle this incident," Riley said.

All students that were not exhibiting symptoms were transported by bus to Westbrook High School’s Performing Arts Center.  Parents were notified via Beaumont ISD’s phone messaging system.

Numerous agencies have joined together to make sure all students and faculty members receive necessary treatment.

There are no reports of any serious or fatal injuries.

The initial investigation revealed a problem with one of the gas boilers in the main building. BISD operations department, state inspectors and the Fire Marshall are working together to evaluate and remedy the problem.

We will take as much time as needed to insure the building is safe for students and staff to return.

Updates will be provided through all forms of media.  Parents will be notified through all forms of media and the district’s phone messaging system regarding tomorrow’s school schedule.

BISD Spokesperson Ron Reynolds had the following to say about the incident:

Reynolds said approximately 70 students from Marshall Middle School were transported to area hospitals with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including light-headedness and nausea

"Students who did not display any symptoms," he said, "were brought to West Brook (High School). Parents should pick up their child there. They should not go to Marshall."

Additionally, he said, it is unclear at this time if there will be school on Marshall's campus tomorrow

"We may know later today," Reynolds said.

According to eighth-grader, Katelyn Dickinson, who didn't appear to be ill from the apparent  leak, she was in the eighth-grade hall when everyone was asked to evacuate.

"The principal said we had to stay where we are and that the sixth-graders had to evacuate out of the sixth-grade hall," she said. "And then he said stay in your rooms until further notice and then announced that we all had to go into the gym."

According to Mary Poole, spokesperson from Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, 9 children and 2 adults from Marshall Middle School are currently being treated  at Baptist Hospital in Beaumont and there are two school busses headed to Baptist Hospital with 20 children on each bus. Poole said, as of now there, is nothing life-threatening.

"Paramedics are on the busses and will triage the kids on the busses at Baptist Hospital," Poole said. "If they need to come inside to be treated they will."

 

 

Update 12:59 p.m.:

According to Danielle Pardue, spokesperson for CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth.

Any time a medical emergency situation occurs in our community, CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth is prepared to respond.  St. Elizabeth currently has 14 patients who are being triaged and treated as a result of potential carbon monoxide exposure.  All are in stable condition.  A process for Fast Tracking through the registration and triage process has been implemented in the Emergency Department (ED).  Patients exposed to carbon monoxide will be kept for several hours, so that our caregivers can evaluate and monitor each appropriately, ensuring any interventions used are based on each patient’s needs.  Additionally, accommodations have been set up inside the ED for patients’ families as they wait during the treatment process, and our Spiritual Care department is supporting families during this time.

 

Update 1:23 p.m.:

Statement issued by Kevin Hunt, Director of emergency services at Baptist Hospital.

"We were notified of this event about 11 a.m. this morning," Hunt said. "We started mobilizing our staff — preparing the ER and bringing in extra resources where needed. At this point, we've received 12-15 patients and we're expecting about 35-40 more. We will be treating some people on the bus that can be and the rest we're bringing into the ER. We have all of our staff and resources ready to go."

Hunt said the patients will be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

Update 1:25 p.m.:

Three to five students arrive at Baptist Hospital on a BISD bus.

 

Update 1:30 p.m.:

According to Danielle Pardue, spokesperson for CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth.

We are currently treating 24 patients at this time at St. Elizabeth.
 
 
Update 1:37 p.m.:

Danielle Pardue, spokesperson for CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth, "We are currently treating 47 patients at St. Elizabeth."

Update 4:13 p.m.:

According to Danielle Pardue, spokesperson for CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth, the hospital is now treating 64 patients at St. Elizabeth from Marshall Middle School.

Update 7:25 p.m.:

According to Mary Poole, spokesperson from Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, Baptist Hospital in Beaumont has treated 46 students and two adults from Marshall Middle School for carbon monoxide poisoning.

shadow