Wall Street fire in Beaumont demolishes two-story home

Wall Street fire in Beaumont demolishes two-story home

It took firefighters more than an hour to extinguish a large blaze that devastated a Wall Street home in Beaumont May 22, Beaumont Fire-Rescue reported Sunday. 

According to a news release from Capt. Brad Penisson, firefighters responded to the structure fire in the 1500 block of Wall Street at about 8:24 p.m. Penisson said the first unit arrived on scene less than two minutes after the alarm, but the quickly spreading fire had already taken hold of the structure by the time they arrived.

Firefighters found one room involved with fire at the rear of the home and made a quick attack. As they extinguished that fire, they discovered the flames had already traveled through concealed spaces into the attic. The fire expanded rapidly, reported Penisson, and firefighters had to withdraw to attack the conflagration from the exterior.

Due to the size of the fire, extra crews responded to assist, and several off-duty firefighters were called to supplement crews on the scene. It took more than an hour before the fire was under control, said Penisson, and families on either side of the burning home were evacuated for a short time as a precaution. Even after the fire was under control, it still took several more hours to extinguish the smoldering embers surrounding the site.

No firefighters were injured, and the occupant of the home was able to escape without injury before firefighters arrived.

Penisson said fire investigators determined that the fire originated in a bedroom of the home, and appears to have been caused by an electrical short.