Woman indicted for theft, destroying police car


A woman with a history of mental illness has been indicted after the theft of a police cruiser and a wild chase through Beaumont.

Carlee Galmore, 31, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury March 13 on charges of felony theft, evading police with a motor vehicle and aggravated assault on a public servant, a second-degree felony, state jail felony and first-degree felony, respectively.

According to a probable cause affidavit obtained by The Examiner, on Feb. 21 at about 1:30 p.m., officers responded to a home at 1105 Fulton in reference to a family disturbance.

When police arrived, they found Galmore’s mother, who told police her daughter is mentally unstable. According to an investigative summary obtained by The Examiner, the mother told police Galmore needed mental treatment as she was not taking her medication.

The affidavit said police detained Galmore, but she was able to “get into the driver side door of the patrol unit, shut and then lock the doors.”

Police tried in vain to open the police cruiser with Galmore inside, prompting her to flee the scene with at least one officer still holding on to the car, who was dragged “some distance,” according to the investigative summary.

“Galmore then accelerated the vehicle further and I observed (the) officer on the ground, rolling multiple times, causing pain and bodily injuries to her legs, arms and hands,” according to the affidavit.

The injured officer was able to jump into another police cruiser following Galmore and the two officers caught up to Galmore only to find she “turned on the light bar inside the stolen Beaumont Police Patrol Unit and continued to flee (southbound) on Irving,” the affidavit said.

The chase eventually led to MLK and Highway 69, “reaching speeds in excess of 100 mph. Due to the danger Galmore posed to the public on the highway and on coming urban area of Port Arthur, (an) officer used his patrol vehicle to terminate the pursuit in front of Minnie Rogers Juvenile Facility at 5326 Highway 69 S., causing Galmore to collide with an electric pole” on the service road, the affidavit said.

Galmore was taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital and released into police custody a short time later. Arrested Feb. 21 and given a $75,000 bond on each of the three indictments, Galmore is set to appear in court on April 21.