Beaumont firefighters

The Ridgewood Retirement Community caught ablaze Saturday evening about 5:30 p.m.

Flames did not spread through the entire facility, but could be seen shooting from the 9th Street side of the complex about 6:30 p.m. 

BFD spokesman Brad Pennison said there were vagrants in the area when the fire started and several eyewitnesses said homeless people had settled in the largely abandoned facility. 


"Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries" - Beaumont Fire Department staff remind the community that as you "spring forward" and set your clocks ahead an hour during daylight saving time (DST), it is also a good opportunity to change out your batteries in your smoke detectors.

Smoke detectors save lives, so BFD encourages you to change the batteries and to test your detectors regularly. Have an escape plan, and get your children involved so they will know what to do in an emergency.

990 Church St., Beaumont

Beaumont Fire Rescue units responded to a structure fire reported at 990 Church St. on Friday, Feb. 7. When firefighters arrived, they found the kitchen of the home on fire. The occupants were able to escape without injury before firefighters arrived. The fire was quickly extinguished and confined to the kitchen area. The fire was caused by a pot of wax heating on the stove and left unattended. Red Cross was called to assist the family.